Doctors Who Treat Concussion

When an individual is evaluated in an emergency room after a head injury, he or she will be seen by emergency room doctors, who usually have experience in concussion and other traumatic brain injuries. If a head injury is serious, a specialist in neurotrauma will be called in to consult.

For follow-up care and evaluation, patients may be seen by a neurologist, neurosurgeon, or neuropsychologist, depending on need. Imaging studies (MRI or CT scans) may be ordered if there is any reason to suspect complications. As Hillary Clinton recently discovered, a follow-up visit can reveal a blood clot or other serious complication that would have otherwise been missed.

Visit the multidisciplinary Weill Cornell Medicine Concussion Clinic for more information about what specialists treat concussion.

Weill Cornell Medicine Neurological Surgery 525 East 68 Street, Box 99 New York, NY 10065 Phone: 866-426-7787